Letter to the Editor
Ann Lab Med 2020; 40(5): 431-434
Published online September 1, 2020 https://doi.org/10.3343/alm.2020.40.5.431
Copyright © Korean Society for Laboratory Medicine.
Successful Desensitization by Post-Centrifugal Plasma Filtration in Two Highly Sensitized Heart and Lung Transplant Recipients
Hyun-Ji Lee, M.D., Ph.D.1 , Kyung-Hwa Shin, M.D., Ph.D.2 , Hyung-Hoi Kim, M.D., Ph.D.2 , Hyung Gon Je, M.D., Ph.D.3 , Dohyung Kim, M.D.3 , Woo Hyun Cho, M.D., Ph.D.4 , Jeong Su Kim, M.D., Ph.D.5 , Soo Yong Lee, M.D., Ph.D.5 , and Hye Ju Yeo, M.D., Ph.D.4
1Department of Laboratory Medicine and Research, Institute for Convergence of Biomedical Science and Technology, Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, Yangsan, Korea; 2Department of Laboratory Medicine, Pusan National University Hospital, Busan, Korea; 3Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery and Research, Institute for Convergence of Biomedical Science and Technology, Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, Yangsan, Korea; 4Department of Pulmonology and Critical Care Medicine, Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, Yangsan, Korea; 5Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine and Research, Institute for Convergence of Biomedical Science and Technology, Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, Pusan National University School of Medicine, Yangsan, Korea
Correspondence to: Hyung-Hoi Kim, M.D., Ph.D.
Biomedical Research Institute, Pusan National University Hospital Clinical Trial Center (CTC), Department of Laboratory Medicine and Biomedical Informatics Unit of Pusan National University School of Medicine, 1-10 Ami-dong, Seo-gu, Busan 49241, Korea
Tel: +82-51-240-7418, Fax: +82-51-247-6560, E-mail: email@example.com
This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0) which permits unrestricted non-commercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Changes in DSAs with desensitization treatment. (A) A heart transplant recipient (Case 1, Table 1) with preformed DSAs and (B) a lung transplant recipient (Case 2, Table 1) who underwent desensitization before donor matching.
Abbreviations: ATG, anti-thymocyte globulin; DSA, donor-specific antibody; IVIG, intravenous immunoglobulin; MFI, mean fluorescence intensity; PCPF, post-centrifugal plasma filtration; POD, postoperative day.
Baseline characteristics of the two patients with DSAs
|Case||Sex||Age (yr)||Diagnosis||Recipient||Donor||DSA (initial MFI strength)||Pre-transplant||Outcome (days)|
|Class I||Class II||Cumulative MFI||CDC (T/B)||FCM (T/B)||Rejection||Alive/Dead|
|1||F||32||Dilated cardiomyopathy||11/24||07/54||04/04||24/24||51/52||14/15||B52 (9,135), B51 (2,484)||DR14 (14,616) DR15 (8,800)||35,035||Positive/Positive||Positive/Positive||AMR episode||Alive (1,774)|
|2||F||54||Acute interstitial pneumonia||33/33||44/44||07/13||02/11||13/48||12/14||A2 (2,752), B48 (7,093), B13 (3,079)||12,924||Negative/Negative||Positive/Positive||No||Alive (1,474)|
- Al-Mohaissen MA, Virani SA. Allosensitization in heart transplantation: an overview. Can J Cardiol 2014;30:161-72.
- Li F, Atz ME, Reed EF. Human leukocyte antigen antibodies in chronic transplant vasculopathy-mechanisms and pathways. Curr Opin Immunol 2009;21:557-62.
- Colvin MM, Cook JL, Chang PP, Hsu DT, Kiernan MS, Kobashigawa JA, et al. Sensitization in heart transplantation: Emerging knowledge: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 2019;139:e553-78.
- Colvin MM, Cook JL, Chang P, Francis G, Hsu DT, Kiernan MS, et al. Antibody-mediated rejection in cardiac transplantation: emerging knowledge in diagnosis and management: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 2015;131:1608-39.
- Park BG. Desensitization in HLA incompatible transplantation. Korean J Blood Transfus 2019;30:1-14.
- Jordan SC, Reinsmoen N, Lai CH, Vo A. Novel immunotherapeutic approaches to improve rates and outcomes of transplantation in sensitized renal allograft recipients. Discov Med 2012;13:235-45.
- Patel J, Everly M, Chang D, Kittleson M, Reed E, Kobashigawa J. Reduction of alloantibodies via proteasome inhibition in cardiac transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant 2011;30:1320-6.
- Iyer HS, Jackson AM, Zachary AA, Montgomery RA. Transplanting the highly sensitized patient: trials and tribulations. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 2013;22:681-8.